Friday, August 5, 2011

music, music, music!

These last few months have been pretty jam packed with music. Working on my record, participating in a few fun musical projects and then of course music festivals in the festival city of Edmonton, Alberta!

A few weeks ago I was part of an amazing project called Edmonton The Musical. It was a love story based around relationships and dating in the capital city of Edmonton. It was a mash up of live music and theatre. I was one of the lucky 27 local artists/musicians/acts that got to participate in making the live soundtrack for the theatre production. The show ran from July 21 - 24 (five shows, 7pm everyday and 1pm & 7pm on Sunday the 24th). It was a really fun opportunity to interact with some great actors and artists. Cara Albo wrote, directed, produced and performed (among many other things) in the play. We all had a blast together and I definitely got exposed to the way a theatre production is run (who would have thought it was so different than a live music show?)

The very next weekend I went to Big Valley Jamboree with my friends Laura & Alissa. Jered was playing with Shane Yellowbird as part of the kick off party. We spent the weekend basking (and burning) in the sun, listening to music and dancing all night long. Not much sleep, some rain and chilly nights assisted me in catching a nasty little cold that I'm currently dealing with!

Which leads me to this week, I'm in the midst of a busy time at work working on an amazing event called Walk A Mile In Her Shoes - a fundraiser for the YWCA Violence Prevention Programs. Men strap on heels and strut their stuff around Churchill Square in the second week of September. I worked a golf tournament with the West Edmonton Business Association this week to spread the word and had a hilarious time (and a 5am wake up call that reminded me of my days working at the Derrick Golf & Country Club as a cart tart). Immediately following the tournament I started my first shift at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival. I am working security in the beer gardens (believe me I can be veryyy intimidating if need be) and will be working all weekend long, stealing away to catch as much music as possible.

Next weekend I'm going camping with some girlfriends, which leaves me with one weekend free before my girlfriend's stagette and wedding.

As for the record, we worked on tweaking some of the preliminary mixes and are currently having a serious listen to round 2. I have an AMAZING new web designer named Kasia with Code Word Media Design. She is fantastic and I'm so excited for you all to see the new website, which will actually incorporate this blog instead of being a separate entity! Yay! Which will of course mean more consistent blogging and a more esthetically pleasing visual for you to experience whilst reading. If anyone actual reads this blog of course. :)

Later this month I am playing the Open Sky Music Festival with a bunch of friends, and along with some amazing artists from out of town. I'm really excited to be a part of this festival. It's at the lovely Hawrelak Park Amphitheatre.

THEN in October I have been invited to open up for Dave McCann at the Northern Lights Folk Club! Far in advance I know, but I've been looking forward to playing there for some time now!

Well that's the latest folks!

Cheers!

No comments: